Website Toronto Transit Commission
Provides engineering support in the preparation, analysis, monitoring and co-ordination of new projects or modifications to existing equipment as related to the design and testing of TTC’s systems and related equipment for Subway Communications and Signaling; assists with the preparation of designs, estimates, material lists, specifications, standards, policies, work methods, test procedures and drawings; conducts engineering analyses, evaluations, tests and draws conclusions; assists with the testing and commissioning of new systems and conducts investigations into operational, communications or subway signaling problems.
- Provide engineering support and guidance to maintenance staff on a 24-hour basis.
- Provide engineering design expertise in relation to the design, operation, maintenance and rehabilitation of the TTC’s subway computer based signaling systems.
- Prepare drawings and specifications for the acquisition, manufacture and installation of signal systems and equipment.
- Assemble, prepare and/or review various reports, staff summary sheets, project status and progress reports, documentation on inspection visits, and other correspondence related to the work.
- Troubleshoot and investigate operational problems and defect analyses and evaluate and provide engineered solutions for new and/or existing systems; investigate the effectiveness of changes in procedures, designs, or materials.
- Liaise with various manufacturing companies, contractors and government agencies to ensure designs are practical and meet all applicable code requirements.
- Review and interpret existing conditions, drawings, specifications, and material submissions; obtain additional data necessary for the completion of accurate drawings and specifications, and conformity with TTC specifications. Assisting with the tender and proposal evaluation and reviewing external submissions related to subway signaling designs.
- Comply with and ensure all work is performed in a safe and efficient manner during construction; keep abreast of changes to pertinent safety legislation or regulations, and TTC’s safety policies and procedures.
- Design vital and non-vital circuits in accordance with signal design standards for new and modified signal design systems.
- Prepare material lists, estimates, standards, work methods, test procedures etc.
- Assess, diagnose, correct and eliminate non-routine problems and complex failures, site conditions and provide root cause assessments.
- Perform engineering calculations in order to produce complete engineering designs and specifications for section specific system projects.
- Liaise with staff of various TTC departments to ensure coherence and consistency of information on drawings for relevant project components and that designs meet TTC’s operating requirements; assist Engineers with preparation of technical specifications.
- Provide direction and guidance to operational maintenance personnel, supervisory staff, students or on-site contract employees regarding existing equipment, new installations or inspection work.
- Initiate and research Design Standards; research information to ensure final designs are practical and meet code requirements or TTC and Industry Design Standards; conduct studies as directed; research reference drawings for structural details.
- Sound judgement and well-developed technical, analytical, problem solving, interpersonal, verbal communication and engineering report writing skills
- Use office technology, software and applications
- Audit systems, processes, and products
- Strong knowledge of PCs and software applications related to the work (e.g. Bentley Micro Station CADD, MS Office, MS Word, MS Excel, MS Access, etc.)
- Understand and apply relevant laws and regulations
- Completion of a post-secondary college diploma or university degree in a related discipline (i.e. Electrical or Computer Engineering) or a combination of education, training and directly related experience deemed to be equivalent.
- Plan and organize activities / projects to meet section and organizational goals
- Apply analytical skills
- Gather information and conduct research
- Knowledge of the Ontario Electric Safety Code, AREMA Communications & Signals Manual of Recommended Practices, CENELEC, TTC standards, CSA standards and other applicable codes and standards
- Must have or develop knowledge of Departmental policies and procedures, and be able to acquire Subway Rulebook Certification
- Communicate in a variety of mediums
- Experience with testing and commissioning, and operation of signaling systems is an asset
- Registration with, or working towards PEO status with the Professional Engineers of Ontario is mandatory.
Company: Toronto Transit Commission
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Application Deadline: N/A