Website University Health Network
Grand Challenges Canada (GCC) is seeking a Program Officer to play a critical role in supporting the Global Health Innovation Transition to Scale portfolio. GCC supports innovations in reproductive, maternal, newborn, child and adolescent health, with an aim to save and improve lives of unserved and underserved populations in low- and middle-income countries. Through the Transition to Scale program, Grand Challenges Canada provides grant and concessionary risk capital, along with technical advisory, to support the most promising innovations through the missing middle. As one of the largest impact investors in Canada, GCC has supported >230 innovators in >100 countries globally at Transition to Scale since 2011.
- Preparing investment memorandums and presenting potential investments to GCC’s Investment Committee, Engaging in negotiations and their translation into grant agreements;
- Sourcing and securing sufficient and quality pipeline opportunities from external and internal sources, evaluating new grant opportunities, conducting operational due diligence and risk analysis, as well as gender considerations and impact assessments;
- Conducting ongoing management of investments including review and approval of progress reports, supporting innovators via technical assistance, assisting innovators in developing partnerships and fundraising, and managing other issues as they emerge;
- Establishing and/or managing networks critical to accomplishing the above responsibilities; e.g., partnerships with a range of stakeholders, including foundations, impact investors, social entrepreneurs, development organizations
- Leading and contributing to the analysis of portfolio progress, results and lessons on a continual basis;
- Demonstrated commitment to and knowledge of relevant domains (e.g. sexual and reproductive health and rights, sexual- and gender-based violence, increasing early access to existing abortion products and services and testing and developing next-generation methods of pregnancy termination).
- Working knowledge of French is a significant asset
- Previous experience working with social enterprises a plus, preferably with professional experience facilitating strategic connections to potential investors and partners, and identifying opportunities for technical assistance and advisory support to strengthen core competencies with a goal of optimizing a social enterprise’s ability to achieve sustainable impact at scale (e.g. public sector scaling support).
- Excellent analytic, strategic thinking and project management skills to oversee a large portfolio
- A minimum of 5-8 years work and/or educational experience in a relevant field (e.g., global health, international development, impact investing)
Company: University Health Network
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Application Deadline: N/A