Website City of McAllen
Under immediate direction, the Apprentice Signal Tech is taught the skills and knowledge needed for installing, maintaining, troubleshooting, and repairing traffic signal control equipment and related devices including street lighting. Employee is assigned routine tasks at the beginning; as skills and knowledge progress, more difficult tasks are assigned, requiring an increase in reasonable and independent judgment.
- Performs other job related tasks as assigned.
- Learns and performs troubleshooting in the field and restores operations to traffic signal control devices that require repair.
- Learns and performs the programming of various types of computerized traffic signal controllers.
- Learns to test traffic signal control equipment and related devices to identify defects in electric and electronic equipment.
- Learns and performs the testing and evaluation of traffic signal control equipment for system compatibility.
- Performs all routine maintenance required to ensure that the traffic signal systems are operating properly.
- Learns and performs wiring of control cabinets prior to field installation.
- Learns and performs repairs of electrical, electronic, and microprocessor based equipment.
- Demonstrates continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, and streamline work processes.
- Job requires an accredited high school diploma or GED equivalent.
- No previous related work experience is required.
- Job requires a current, valid Texas Class C driver’s license. Must be able to obtain a Commercial Drivers License (CDL) Class A within six (6) months of employment.
- Must have knowledge of basic electronics, theory and knowledge of occupational hazards, and safety precautions of the electrical trade.
- Must be able to use standard hand tools and equipment required to perform routine maintenance of traffic signals.
- Must be able to interact with the public in a friendly and courteous manner using tact and diplomacy.
- Must be able to manage time efficiently, be a self-starter, and see all assignments through to completion, always using mature judgement.
- Must be able to effectively communicate in the English language.
Company: City of McAllen
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Weslaco, TX, US
Application Deadline: N/A