Website City of McAllen
This job involves the enforcing of City Ordinances and state laws regarding animal violations, the licensing, impounding, and treatment of animals. Incumbent is committed to protect the health and safety through enforcement of City and State animal control laws and provides information supporting quality pet care. Incumbent assists community on the education regarding the importance of licensing. Promotes responsible pet ownership and pet population. Assists development of community problem solving techniques regarding nuisance animals. Under direction, the employee prepares recurring reports and records, and frequent decisions are made with few precedents, which requires mature judgment. The worker has continuous services to the public frequently involving matters demanding outmost tact and resourcefulness.
- Operates and maintains an animal control vehicle; utilizes a variety of animal control devices and equipment including leash, muzzle, traps, catch pole, net, radio and tranquilizing equipment.
- Responds to bee invasions.
- Apprehends diseased or injured animals.
- Vaccinates adopted animals.
- Offer suggestions to animal owners to aid in compliance with laws and ordinances.
- Determines ownership of animals at large.
- Prepares reports, gathers evidence, prepares search warrants and witness statements.
- Monitors violations of animal control City ordinances and state laws.
- Assists in the removal of deceased animals from City property and other locations; assists the public in trapping domestic and wild animals.
- Completes paperwork for customer licenses, adoptions, claims, releases, stray and trap forms.
- Occasionally collects licensing fees.
- Receives and responds to animal complaints; including animals at large, stray, vicious, abandoned, nuisance or abused.
- Answer calls and provides information to assist public with locating lost/found animals, adoption procedures, licensing requirements, spraying, neutering and disease information.
- Maintains records of violators and testifies in court.
- Handles vicious animals or irate citizens, utilizing officer safety.
- Responds to and investigates complaints from the public regarding stray, sick, injured and abused animals; investigates cases of animal cruelty, neglect, abandonment, animal bites and barking dogs.
- Quarantines biting animals for observation according to established guidelines.
- Enforces City ordinances by patrolling assigned areas; captures and impounds dead, sick, injured, stray or trapped domestic and non-domestic animals.
- Apprehends stray or at large animals for impoundment.
- Must have the ability to enforce animal control ordinances to assure the safety and health of citizens and
animals in the City of McAllen.
- Must be able to obtain Basic Certification as an Animal Control Officer from Texas Health Department within one (1) year of employment.
- Certification must be maintained throughout employment.
- Job requires a valid Texas Driver’s License (Class C).
courteous and diplomatic manner, often under stressful conditions.
- Must have interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy; must be able to deal with the public in a
- Must have knowledge of animal control equipment; experience in handling animals and the use of firearms
- Job requires an accredited high school diploma or GED equivalent.
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills and the ability to prepare reports and records.
Company: City of McAllen
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Weslaco, TX, US
Application Deadline: N/A