Costco Wholesale is seeking an experienced legal assistant to join the legal team at its headquarters in Issaquah, Washington. In this role, you will provide primary assistance to three corporate/transactional attorneys supporting several of Costco’s business units, including merchandising (commercial transactions for retail goods), home improvement, e-commerce, information technology, information security, and IT vendor management. This position will focus on procurement and commercial transactions and business operations, not litigation or corporate governance or securities matters.
- Assist with compliance review of private label packaging, advertising, and marketing material.
- Review and revise commercial, technology transactions, procurement, and other template agreements in cooperation with responsible attorney.
- Assist with information security incidents, including maintaining incident logs and coordination of working group matters.
- Track compliance issues and follow-up with responsible persons across several departments; log transactions and events into Costco tracking and compliance tools.
- Finalize, update, format, and maintain contracts, policies, forms, presentation slides, notebooks, spreadsheets, and shared documents and sites using Microsoft Office suite, Adobe Acrobat, Foxit PhantomPDF, and Google tools and platforms.
- General research on matters as they arise, including legal questions, member issues, and due diligence.
- Spearhead special projects as necessary, such as modernizing internal processes or handling business escalations.
- Prepare correspondence and legal documents, including settlement agreements and contract termination notices.
- Intake and referral of legal matters to other counsel inside and outside of Costco when responsible attorneys are unavailable, including monitoring and maintaining the Legal Department email alias.
- Heavy communication by phone and email with internal Costco clients and outside counsel.
- Review confidentiality agreements/non-disclosure agreements (NDAs) and manage NDA process for the legal department.
- Technology transactions background and/or technical aptitude preferred.
- Experience drafting and reviewing contracts preferred.
- Well-organized, able to identify and prioritize tasks, excellent troubleshooting skills, and ability to successfully manage multiple projects.
- Advanced skills using Microsoft Office suite, Google tools, Adobe Acrobat, and Foxit PhantomPDF.
- At least five years of relevant legal assistant and/or paralegal experience, preferably some in an in-house legal department; paralegal certificate a plus.
- Ability to make sound critical decisions and accept personal responsibility for those decisions.
- Knowledge of Costco (or similar consumer retail and/or e-commerce business) operations a plus.
- Proven ability to stay calm and congenial, and to adjust positively to changes in direction and/or assignment.
- Proven and reliable ability to maintain confidentiality in all legal matters.
- Proactive attitude, high engagement, and a strong interest in learning.
- Strong attention to detail and interpersonal skills with an emphasis on written and verbal communication.
- Strong familiarity with contracting processes and commercial contracts.
Vacancy Type: Full-time
Job Location: Issaquah,Washington
Application Deadline: N/A