Website Hydro One
Hydro One is proud to be the largest electricity transmission and distribution provider in Ontario, serving nearly 1.4 million customers. We have a long history in the industry with our roots dating back over 110 years to 1906. Since then, we have worked to grow and evolve to meet the changing needs of our customers and communities across Ontario. Today, we’re focused on providing exceptional customer service and ensuring we are building safe communities where we live, work and play.
- Receive assignments from the Manager in broad terms on specific problems related to assigned area of work.
- Coordinate and develop project definitions; and preparation of projects, programs, processes, standards, and tools related to the management of transmission stations assets.
- Develop load forecast for planning studies based on sound engineering principles and input from the LDCs, IESO and Hydro One Load Forecast Group
- Undertake and complete planning studies and risk assessments to support the development of station capital investment plans and coordinate activities with customers, service providers and stakeholders to enable successful implementation of station capital investment plans.
- Provide guidance to others as required, assist in resolution of work problems and train new staff in job responsibilities.
- Assist the Division in setting overall policy and direction for managing Hydro One’s transmission assets.
- Perform technical/economic/environmental/business/regulatory impact assessments and other specialized technical/business studies to determine transmission and distribution customer/system needs; analyze problems, develop strategies, alternatives and preferred solution; and facilitate delivery of solution through suppliers and service providers.
- Facilitate Transmission System Planning and/or Hydro One on discussion and negotiation with interconnected utilities, customers, stakeholders and suppliers on system development matters.
- Prepare recommendations and business cases for investments in the transmission system or connection to the transmission system for management and regulatory approvals.
- Lead and/or participate in technical teams involving LDCs and the IESO along with other stakeholders to facilitate the Regional Planning process throughout Ontario to fulfill OEB mandatory obligations; provide quality assurance of each of the Regional Planning deliverables in a timely manner; participate in stakeholder meetings
- Recognize areas requiring study or action and recommend and participate in programs that should be undertaken to improve performance or to avoid problems.
- Liaise with other internal work groups, divisions and outside interests.
- Prepare and/or contribute to business planning and regulatory submissions such as Leave to Construct Applications, Rate Filings and Environmental Assessments
- Monitor, control and redirect projects during the planning, estimating and execution phases.
- Prepare planning specifications (Scope of Work) for new/modified transmission facilities, new or modified generation connections to the transmission system or new or modified load connections to the transmission system and work with service providers to manage risks and to ensure meeting of approved project schedule and budget.
- Ensure reporting systems such as SAP are kept current.
- Participate (as required) as a representative of the Company before regulatory agencies and on internal and external committees/task forces (e.g. IESO, NERC,NPCC, CSA, CEA etc.) related to transmission planning.
- Conduct technical planning studies/assessments and prepare reports to develop and recommend preferred solutions to manage capacity and reliability of the transmission system for safe and secure operation
- Requires experience of the electrical power system operational and business requirements, policies, practices and procedures governing transmission stations assets.
- Excellent knowledge, experience and understanding of the planning, design, operations and performance of large interconnected power system, including the performance characteristics of power system apparatus and equipment including but not limited to transmission station and line assets.
- Completion of 4 years university degree in electrical engineering is considered necessary and a post graduate degree or equivalent post graduate studies in power system analysis is recommended.
- A period of 6-8 years work experience in transmission system planning, design engineering or operating transmission power systems is considered necessary to gain this experience.
- A Registered Professional Engineer in the Province of Ontario or similar jurisdiction
- Experience and capability in analysing complex power systems using sophisticated simulation software packages such as PSS/E. Experience in conducting power flow, dynamic stability and short circuit studies
- Working knowledge of established reliability standards e.g. security criteria, the NERC, NPCC, IESO and Hydro One operating policies, and procedures
- Experience and understanding of transmission planning criteria and the internal and external approval process.
- Requires familiarity with corporate financial business and regulatory policies.
- Requires the desire to assist others.
- Experience in co-ordinating and preparing technical reports, equipment performance specifications and business case summaries for management approval.
- Working knowledge of Market rules and the IESO processes related reliable operation of the interconnected power system.
Company: Hydro One
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Application Deadline: N/A