Website Hydro One
Hydro One is proud to be the largest electricity transmission and distribution provider in Ontario, serving nearly 1.4 million customers. We have a long history in the industry with our roots dating back over 110 years to 1906. Since then, we have worked to grow and evolve to meet the changing needs of our customers and communities across Ontario. Today, we’re focused on providing exceptional customer service and ensuring we are building safe communities where we live, work and play.
- Ensure reporting systems such as SAP are kept current.
- Recognize areas requiring study or action, and recommend and participate in programs that should be undertaken to improve performance or to avoid problems.
- Participate (as required) as a representative of the Company before regulatory agencies and on internal and external committees/task forces (e.g. IESO, NERC, NPCC, CSA, CEA etc.) related to transmission planning.
- Coordinate and develop project definitions; and preparation of projects, programs, processes, standards, and tools related to the management of transmission stations assets.
- Prepare and/or contribute to business planning and regulatory submissions such as OEB Leave to Construct Applications, Rate Filings and Environmental Assessments
- Participate in teams involving Local Distribution Companies and the IESO along with other stakeholders to facilitate the Regional Planning process throughout Ontario to fulfill Ontario Energy Board mandatory obligations; provide Regional Planning deliverables accurately and in a timely manner; participate in stakeholder meetings
- Monitor, control and redirect major projects during the planning, estimating and execution phases.
- Prepare planning specifications (Scope of Work) for new/modified transmission facilities, new or modified generation connections to the transmission system or new or modified load connections to the transmission system and work with service providers to manage risks and to ensure meeting of approved project schedule and budget.
- Assist the Division in setting overall policy and direction for managing Hydro One’s transmission assets.
- Work with the electrical power system operational and business requirements, policies, practices and procedures governing transmission stations assets.
- Develop load forecast for planning studies based on sound engineering principles and input from the LDCs, IESO and Hydro One Load Forecast Group
- Conduct planning studies/assessments and prepare reports to develop and recommend preferred solutions to manage capacity and reliability of the transmission system for safe and secure operation
- Undertake and complete planning studies and risk assessments to support the development of station capital investment plans and coordinate activities with customers, service providers and stakeholders to enable successful implementation of station capital investment plans.
- Perform technical/economic/environmental/business/regulatory impact assessments and other specialized technical/business studies to determine transmission and distribution customer/system needs; analyze problems, develop strategies, alternatives and preferred solution; and facilitate delivery of solution through suppliers and service providers.
- Prepare recommendations and business cases for investments in the transmission system or connection to the transmission system for management and regulatory approvals.
- Ability to break down complex problems and issues into critically important component parts, analyzing the available information and expressing the results of the analysis and solutions with concise clarity.
- Familiarity with OEB mandated Regional Infrastructure Planning Process and Transmission System Planning is recommended.
- General knowledge, experience and understanding of the planning, design, operations and performance of large interconnected power system, including the performance characteristics of power system apparatus and equipment including but not limited to transmission station and line assets.
- Demonstrated clear and concise communication skills both verbal and written on topics with significant depth and/or complexity
- Experience in co-ordinating and preparing technical reports, equipment performance specifications and business case summaries for management approval is desireable.
- A minimum of four years of related experience in Planning, Design Engineering or Operating power systems is considered necessary to acquire the necessary qualifications.
- Experience in the electrical power system operational and business requirements, policies, practices and procedures governing transmission stations assets is desireable.
- Ability to provide advice to decision-makers, which has results in adoption of recommendations and significant business improvements.
- Ability to work in a project environment, under tight deadlines, interfacing with other experts, as well as customers, field staff and the project leader.
- Demonstrated team player, good organization and planning skills
- Ability to work independently with moderate supervision; the ability to work effectively as a leader or within a multi-functional team, interacting with others to develop co-operative working relationships.
- Experience and capability in analysing complex power systems using sophisticated simulation software packages such as PSS/E. Experience in conducting power flow, dynamic stability and short circuit studies is recommended.
- Willingness to travel to field locations and customer sites.
- Familiarity of the structure of the Electrical industry in Ontario, the Transmission System Code, IESO market rules, NPCC and NERC criteria is recommended.
- Completion of 4 years university degree in electrical engineering is considered necessary and a post graduate degree or equivalent post graduate studies in power system analysis is desirable.
- It is desirable that Candidate would be qualifiable to attain a P.Eng from Professional Engineers Ontario (PEO).
Company: Hydro One
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Application Deadline: N/A