Website Fisheries and Oceans Canada
When you apply to this selection process, you are not applying for a specific job, but to an inventory for future vacancies. As positions become available, applicants who meet the qualifications may be contacted for further assessment.
- Leads and/or participates in, damage control, firefighting, environmental response and other drills, exercises and operations;
- Be recognized as one of Canada’s Top Employers for Young People in 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020.
- Supervises the operation, maintenance and repair of the main propulsion plant, electrical plant, auxiliary machinery, deck machinery, hotel equipment and miscellaneous systems.
- Supervises and assists in the training of engineering personnel assigned to the watch.
- Provides all support necessary to ensure CCG meets its mandate.
- Maintains and updates machinery maintenance records, as well as engine room log and oil record books.
- Celebrate our diversity and our commitment to values and ethics – we recognize our employees for a variety of achievements, including Excellence in Values and Innovation;
- Provide a healthy, respectful and supportive work environment for all employees – many resources and initiatives are available such as the Working on Wellness program, which promotes work-life balance and access to LifeSpeak, which is an innovative health and wellness platform;
- Provide wide-ranging career opportunities, as we are the third largest Federal Public Service Department in British Columbia;
- Commit to continuous learning and employees’ career development;
- Must be willing and able to perform overtime work as required, often on short notice;
- Willingness to go to sea for prolonged periods of time (including Arctic Waters) in adverse weather conditions, and on various classes of vessels; and
- Valid Canadian passport or other valid travel documents/visas permitting entry to Canadian and United States Ports of Calls;
- Must be willing and able to work shiftwork, rotating hours, and variable hours of work;
- Must be willing and able to wear a Respiratory Protection device and meet the standard of the CCG Respiratory Protection Program – RPP;
- Must be willing and able to travel by air, land and sea.
- Must be willing and able to be deployed
- Valid Marine Medical – no limitations **Candidates must hold a Transport Canada Marine Medical valid for the occupation group to which they have applied (Deck, Engine, or Catering) prior to initial hire. A Health Canada Occupational Health Medical must be completed after initial hire and must be maintained as an ongoing condition of employment
- Willingness to wear and maintain a uniform per Canadian Coast Guard standards, inclusive of CSA approved safety footwear, and maintain job related personal safety equipment;
Qualification & Experience:
- Operational experience as assistant to the engineer of the watch: 168 days
- Operational experience as an engineer of the watch: 168 days.
- Experience with computer based maintenance system
- Experience refit and/or dry-docking and/or Self Maintenance 56 days (can be a combination of refit/dry dock or self maintenance)
- Experience with troubleshooting engineering systems
- Experience in the use and maintenance of a Safety Management System
Company: Fisheries and Oceans Canada
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Victoria, British Columbia, CA
Application Deadline: N/A