Website The University of British Columbia
The Research Assistant will provide support to a study at the Vancouver General Hospital (VGH) and St. Paul’s Hospital (SPH) Emergency Departments (ED) to screen patients for harmful opioid use and to offer eligible patients buprenorphine/naloxone (Suboxone). The study is trialing two methods of Suboxone dosing in our take-home packages (standard dosing and microdosing, a novel approach). The incumbent will be involved in a full range of research activities including screening, consenting and enrolling study participants, conducting follow-up procedures, and data entry.
- Assists with study data entry.
- Communicates with emergency physicians, nurses, pharmacists and social workers about patient needs.
- Surveys patients and healthcare providers about their experiences in the ED during their ED visit.
- Any other duties as required.
- Assists with patient follow-up procedures.
- Receives consent and enrolls eligible patients into the study.
- Collects basic patient data at time of enrollment.
- Identifies eligible research study participants.
- Assists with follow-up procedures, e.g. faxing forms to primary care providers and pharmacy.
- Ability to exercise appropriate tact, discretion and confidentiality in all matters.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule that will include evenings and weekends.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrates empathy, compassion, and respect when working with vulnerable populations.
- Ability to work effectively independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to work respectfully and efficiently in a high paced emergency department environment
- Ability to deal with a diversity of people in a courteous, and effective manner.
- Ability to maintain accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to effectively use computer software, such as MS Word and MS Excel.
- Ability to prioritize and work effectively under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Ability to learn new software, research methods, and work routines.
Company: The University of British Columbia
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Vancouver, BC, USA
Application Deadline: N/A