Website The University of British Columbia
This position reports to Dr. Raymond Andersen (PI) and utilizes expertise in culturing microorganisms to conduct medium scale laboratory culturing of marine microorganisms as part of a natural product drug discovery program.
- Prepare data, figures, and methods details for grant applications and publications.
- Interface with Chemistry Department Bioservices facility.
- Carry out stable isotope feeding experiments with cultured marine microorganisms.
- Curate a collection of >2000 frozen marine invertebrate specimens.
- Manage general purchasing and laboratory finances and safety compliances.
- Instruct graduate students and visiting scientists on procedures for culturing marine microorganisms.
- Curate a collection of > 2000 marine microbial isolates.
- Develop optimized culture conditions (media, temperature, time etc.) for bioactive natural product production.
- Extract the crude natural products from the medium scale cultures.
- Conduct medium scale laboratory culturing of marine microorganisms as part of a natural product drug discovery program.
- Work will be assigned but the incumbent will plan and schedule his/her own work. Errors in handling samples will impact the integrity of data.
- Completion of a relevant technical program or a university degree in a relevant discipline and a minimum three years of related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- The incumbent will work under general supervision; receiving detailed instructions on the assignment of new duties and thereafter only on new or unusual problems.
Company: The University of British Columbia
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, CA
Application Deadline: N/A