New ideas are all around us, but only a few will change the world. That’s our focus at JPL. We ask the biggest questions, then search the universe for answers—literally. We build upon ideas that have guided generations, then share our discoveries to inspire generations to come. Your mission—your opportunity—is to seek out the answers that bring us one step closer. If you’re driven to discover, create, and inspire something that lasts a lifetime and beyond, you’re ready for JPL.
The JPL Acquisition Division has an exciting business part-time internship opportunity for an undergraduate studying Business Administration, or a related major, in our Commercial Subcontracts & Strategic Sourcing Section. This intern will have the opportunity to gain hands-on work experience in the application of subcontracts within Financial and Business Operations, to include issuing and managing active noncomplex and moderately complex subcontracts, purchase orders, and agreements; close-out of inactive subcontracts and agreements; providing support to the subcontract managers in the handling of complex, high-dollar subcontracts. Responsibilities include:
- Performs activities necessary to ensure the goods and services purchased are received in accordance with the price and delivery schedule and that closeout activities are handled promptly.
- Seeks guidance in applying applicable policies, procedures and practices to new situations to determine appropriate action.
- Interacts primarily with immediate supervisor and team members within own organization.
- Uses applicable policies, procedures and practices as guides to determine work methods and deliver results.
- Prepares documentation appropriate to the value of the subcontracts and necessary to satisfy internal audit and review requirements.
- Performs standard transactions that update the financial business process/systems based on departmental instructions.
- Provide support to subcontract managers in developing and issuing solicitations for goods and services.
- Works on day-to-day assignments under direct supervision; receives detailed instructions on new assignments.
- Participates on a team within own organization.
- Responsible for communication necessary to convey significant activities associated with the issuance of low dollar subcontracts internally and externally.
- Must be able to work a minimum of 20 hours per week, with a maximum of 30 hours per week while in school.
- Minimum GPA 3.0.
- Participation in student organizations.
- Must be currently enrolled at least half-time at an accredited college or university pursuing a Bachelors degree in Business or related discipline.
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of MS Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Ability to rapidly comprehend and apply subcontracting principles in high-volume environment
- Punctual, details oriented, resourceful and a self-motivated individual
- Completed coursework with exposure to standard principles, theories, concepts and techniques in business communications and database spreadsheets.
- Ability to interface with all levels of personnel and the ability to resolve multifaceted issues.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and ability to work in a team environment.
- Prior internship experience in related business areas.
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Pasadena, CA, US
Application Deadline: N/A