Accountable for overall success of the daily kitchen operations. Exhibits culinary talents by personally performing tasks while leading the staff and managing all food related functions. Works to continually improve guest and employee satisfaction while maximizing the financial performance in all areas of responsibility. Supervises all kitchen areas to ensure a consistent, high quality product is produced. Responsible for guiding and developing staff including direct reports. Must ensure sanitation and food standards are achieved. Areas of responsibility comprise overseeing all food preparation areas (e.g., banquets, room service, restaurants, bar/lounge and employee cafeteria) and all support areas (e.g., dish room and purchasing).
- Ensures employees maintain required food handling and sanitation certifications.
- Ensures compliance with food handling and sanitation standards.
- Provides and supports service behaviors that are above and beyond for customer satisfaction and retention.
- Monitors the quality of raw and cooked food products to ensure that standards are met.
- Responds to and handles guest problems and complaints.
- Follows proper handling and right temperature of all food products.
- Prepares and cooks foods of all types, either on a regular basis or for special guests or functions.
- Recognizes superior quality products, presentations and flavor.
- Maintains purchasing, receiving and food storage standards.
- Manages day-to-day operations, ensuring the quality, standards and meeting the expectations of the customers on a daily basis.
- Improves service by communicating and assisting individuals to understand guest needs, providing guidance, feedback, and individual coaching when needed.
- Determines how food should be presented, and create decorative food displays.
- Empowers employees to provide excellent customer service. Establishes guidelines so employees understand expectations and parameters. Ensures employees receive on-going training to understand guest expectations.
- Interacts with guests to obtain feedback on product quality and service levels.
- Provides direction for menu development.
- Reviews comment cards, guest satisfaction results and other data to identify areas of improvement.
- Displays leadership in guest hospitality, exemplifies excellent customer service and creates a positive atmosphere for guest relations.
- Understands employee positions well enough to perform duties in employees’ absence or determine appropriate replacement to fill gaps.
- High school diploma or GED; 6 years experience in the culinary, food and beverage, or related professional area.
- 2-year degree from an accredited university in Culinary Arts, Hotel and Restaurant Management, or related major; 4 years experience in the culinary, food and beverage, or related professional area.
- Provides direction for all day-to-day operations.
- Leads kitchen management team.
- Reviews staffing levels to ensure that guest service, operational needs and financial objectives are met.
- Encourages and builds mutual trust, respect, and cooperation among team members.
- Utilizes interpersonal and communication skills to lead, influence, and encourage others; advocates sound financial/business decision making; demonstrates honesty/integrity; leads by example.
- Provides guidance and direction to subordinates, including setting performance standards and monitoring performance.
- Serving as a role model to demonstrate appropriate behaviors.
- Ensures property policies are administered fairly and consistently.
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Skukuza, Mpumalanga, ZA
Application Deadline: N/A