Our Capital Projects Group, Environmental Programs and Assessment (EPA) division is looking for two Senior Advisors, EPA (Indigenous Relations) to join our team. This role will oversee Environmental Programs and Assessment for infrastructure projects to ensure Metrolinx’s ongoing compliance with applicable law, standards, guidelines and policies related to engagement with Indigenous Nations and supporting addressing any corresponding Duty to Consult.
- Supervise consultant contracts engaged in all stages of environmental assessment and compliance as it relates to Indigenous Nations and in support of projects.
- Liaise with internal stakeholders to inform, discuss environmental assessments, and monitor written comments and advice to ensure they reflect an organization wide Metrolinx response, and to plan, design, cost, and schedule environmental assessment project components associated with Indigenous Nation engagement/consultation.
- Collaborate with the Indigenous Relations Office, identify and advise Metrolinx business units of current developments in engagement and consultation with Indigenous Nations with a specific focus on environmental assessment, environmental due diligence and associated commitments.
- Monitor, coordinate, and prepare environmental tracking related to Indigenous Nation engagement/consultation and associated commitments.
- Work with provincial ministries, municipalities, private companies (e.g., consultants and contractors), and Indigenous Nations and entities to facilitate the advancement and implementation of environmental assessments, construction and compliance projects.
- In depth knowledge or lived experience understanding Indigenous Nation’s priorities including familiarity with Aboriginal and Treaty Rights.
- Proficiency in MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc.)
- Public or private sector experience developing communications materials; managing special projects, complex and sensitive issues/tasks, timely flow of information along with stakeholder and rights holder interaction.
- Minimum of six (6) years of experience in environmental compliance, including environmental assessment and mitigation, environmental policy and permitting.
- Completion of a degree in a related discipline (e.g., Indigenous Studies/Relations, Science, Environmental Studies, Biology, Sustainability, Planning, Anthropology, Archaeology) or a combination of education, training and experience deemed equivalent.
- Working knowledge of the principles and practices of environmental assessment, Indigenous Community engagement, the Duty to Consult and Accommodate, and relationship building.
- Field experience would be an asset.
- Experience in working with Indigenous Nations.
- Knowledge of Indigenous Communities, treaties and claims associated with Indigenous Nations applicable to Metrolinx’s operating area would be an asset.
- A valid Ontario Class G driver’s license is required to travel to various site locations, meetings, etc. Must meet and maintain the corporate standard for a good driving record.
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Application Deadline: N/A