Website Ministry of Justice
The Court Usher acts as an essential first point of contact for all the court users involved in hearings. There will be regular contact with the judiciary, assisting the administrative staff with the smooth flow of court work. You will meet members of the public and their legal representatives; prepare court /hearing rooms, and complete documentation, as well as ensuring the court runs smoothly and efficiently. You will also carry out some general clerical work as required to support the work of HMCTS.
- Completing standard forms, etc where the information is clearly defined.
- Providing support to colleagues & judiciary outside of court / hearing times
- Including members of the public, judiciary, juries, solicitors and barristers, the police, representatives of external Agencies etc.
- Providing information related to proceedings, escorting court users into and from the building, swearing oaths etc.
- Answering face to face enquiries
- Straightforward drafting such as acknowledgements and receipting, confirmations, court orders, warrants etc.
- Filling out forms
- Collecting and delivering stationary around the offices
- Calling people into court / hearing rooms in priority order, discussing with Court Clerks and Legal Advisers and liaising with the Witness Service as necessary
- Collecting and delivering files and bundles to the judiciary and clerks ensuring they have the necessary papers
- Operating recording equipment and maintaining records of recordings of hearings
- Ensuring Court rooms are supplied against requirements for relevant forms and stationary
- Sort and deliver lists of hearings for internal & external notice boards
- General clerical work, including use of computers and Switchboard
Qualification & Experience:
2 GCSE’s at Grade C or above, or equivalent qualifications OR have experience of working with the public in a busy public service environment. Ability to use a computer at the level required for the work.
Company:Ministry of Justice
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Bristol, England, UK
Application Deadline: N/A