Leads staff to ensure public safety, electric reliability and regulatory compliance with state and federal vegetation management rules. Serves as a subject matter expert, provides guidance and influence, and acts as an external leader in the industry on regulatory issues and market strategies. Partners with customers and public entities to monitor and manage vegetation proximity to PG&E assets to ensure system reliability and safety objectives.
- Develops own area forecast and associated budget; updates on monthly basis and provides to the Vegetation Planning group for consolidation and reporting. Monitors expenses and reports on actuals vs. budget. Explain variances to manager. Creates new and/or manages existing data models for work forecasting.
- Leads a team in an area of the service territory. Operates under general standards set by the Manager and makes short & long-term decisions at local level that align with department strategy.
- Escalates major events like fire, safety or a violation to Manager.
- Collaborates with and influences both internal and external contacts & stakeholders of various levels on issues and developments affecting vegetation management for the company and/or industry.
- Serves as a subject matter expert, participating in projects or initiatives to positively affect pending legislation or rule making by local, state or federal agencies such as CalFire, CalTrans, USFS, Park Service.
- Active in the utility arborist association to influence standards across the industry and may lead large statewide efforts on behalf of PG&E to resolve issues and conflicts or to educate other parties.
- Oversees quality control inspections and recommended actions. Ensures checks, audits, inspections of contractor work are completed regularly, and corrective action is recommended and implemented to ensure regulatory compliance, safety and reliability.
- May be assigned to own QC program and coordinate activities for whole department.
- Deals with moderately complex and difficult issues with customers and public entities escalated from subordinates.
- May speak/present to external entities such as city councils, governmental agencies and community groups, representing PG&E’s position regarding sensitive vegetation issues.
- Seeks resolutions that balance the customer and business needs.
- Leads performance improvement teams across Vegetation Management and continually seeks and recommends opportunities for continuous improvement.
- Develops and executes project plans and ensures work is on track.
- Develops performance measures for team. Ensures local performance measures and tactics align with the whole department.
- Collaborates with department managers on overall department goals for annual and longer term.
- Provides oversight and mentors assigned Vegetation Program Managers.
- Influence and negotiation skills, tact and diplomacy and political acumen to navigate sensitive customer/public issues.
- ISA-International Society of Arboriculture Certified Arborist Utility Specialist certification
- Good independent organizational, time management, prioritization and planning skills.
- Strong business and data analysis knowledge, process improvement skills and creative thinking to create compelling business cases based on complex business environments and inputs.
- 7 years of related experience with at least 5 years in a leadership role, team leader or project leader.
- Demonstrated strong leadership skills.
- Strong knowledge of forestry and/or utility vegetation management concepts, methods and techniques.
- Thorough knowledge of project and program management concepts, methods and techniques. Ability to lead complex projects across the line of business.
- Good verbal and written communication skills to communicate findings and recommendations to various levels of management.
- Bachelors Degree in Business Administration or job-related discipline or equivalent experience
- CA Class C License, or equivalent
- Adaptability to work within a heavily regulated environment.
- PMI-Project Management Institute PMP-Project Management Professional certification
- Broad knowledge of current utility and energy industry, economic and social & political issues, trends and business drivers.
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Vacaville, California, USA
Application Deadline: N/A