Website Toronto Transit Commission
Provides technical support in the preparation, analysis, monitoring and co-ordination of new projects or modifications to existing equipment as related to the design and testing of TTC’s systems and equipment for the department; assists with the preparation of estimates, material lists, specifications, standards, policies, work methods, test procedures and drawings; conducts engineering analyses, evaluations, tests and draws conclusions; conducts investigations into electrical, signaling or track problems; and detects new areas needing engineering attention to improve safety, productivity and cost effectiveness.
- Troubleshoot and investigate operational problems and defect analyses and evaluate and provide engineered solutions for new and/or existing systems; investigate the effectiveness of changes in procedures, designs, or materials.
- Assess, diagnose, correct and eliminate non-routine problems and complex failures, site conditions and provide root cause assessments.
- Initiate and research Design Standards; research information to ensure final designs are practical and meet code requirements or TTC and Industry Design Standards; conduct studies as directed; research reference drawings for structural details.
- Preparing material lists, estimates, standards, work methods, test procedures etc.
- Liaise with staff of various TTC departments to ensure coherence and consistency of information on drawings for relevant project components and that designs meet TTC’s operating requirements; assist Engineers with preparation of technical specifications.
- Comply with and ensure all work is performed in a safe and efficient manner during construction; keep abreast of changes to pertinent safety legislation or regulations, and TTC’s safety policies and procedures.
- Providing engineering design expertise in relation to the design, operation, maintenance and rehabilitation of the TTC’s subway computer based signaling systems.
- Designing vital and non-vital circuits in accordance with signal design standards for new and modified signal design systems.
- Perform engineering calculations in order to produce complete engineering designs and specifications for section specific system projects.
- Review and interpret existing conditions, drawings, specifications, and material submissions; obtain additional data necessary for the completion of accurate drawings and specifications, and conformity with TTC specifications. Assisting with the tender and proposal evaluation and reviewing external submissions related to subway signaling designs.
- Provide direction and guidance to operational maintenance personnel, supervisory staff, students or on-site contract employees regarding existing equipment, new installations or inspection work.
- Preparing drawings and specifications for the acquisition, manufacture and installation of signal systems and equipment.
- Provide engineering support and guidance to maintenance staff on a 24-hour basis.
- Plan and organize activities / projects to meet section and organizational goals
- Communicate in a variety of mediums
- Registration with the Professional Engineers of Ontario is an asset.
- Good working knowledge of subway signaling design principles, signaling equipment, the associated electronic testing equipment, vital and non-vital systems and other associated subway signaling equipment utilized, maintained and rehabilitated by the section
- Sound knowledge of electrical engineering principles, methods and practices
- Gather information and conduct research
- Familiarity with one or more of the following relational databases: Postgresql, Oracle, SQL Server; including SQL queries and performing management, maintenance of the database
- Familiarity of computers and software applications related to the work such as Bentley Microstation CADD, Excel & VBA
- Audit systems, processes, and products
- Completion of a post-secondary college diploma or university degree in a related discipline (i.e. Electrical or Computer Engineering) or a combination of education, training and directly related experience deemed to be equivalent.
- Use office technology, software and applications
- Apply analytical skills
- Understand and apply relevant laws and regulations
Company: Toronto Transit Commission
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Toronto, ON, USA
Application Deadline: N/A