Website The University of British Columbia
This position is fully grant funded with the main activities related to the preparation and processing of physical mining samples, nucleic acid extraction from samples, and nucleic acid quantification and quality control for downstream sequencing applications. With direction from the Biobank and Biofactorial automation core facility managers, the successful candidate will prepare and process samples for sequencing, and conduct inventory and data management activities in support of a multi-million dollar digital supercluster project focused on the Mining Microbiome at UBC. They will be trained in high-throughput (96 plate-based and individual) sample processing for nucleic acid extraction in the Biofactorial automation core facility, and work with both the Biobank and Biofactorial personnel to effect chain of custody protocols, eLab laboratory information management, and system data entry for control and transfer. In addition, the successful candidate may be trained in construction of sequencing libraries, and operation and maintenance of Illumina miSeq sequencers.
- May participate in operation and calibration of automation equipment related to sequencing library construction and sequence data generation in the core facility (Access workstations, liquid handlers, Illumina miSEQ sequencer, etc), if required.
- Assist with Biobank sample receiving, sample preparation, and transfer to plate-based formats, as required.
- Use barcode scanning equipment, label printers and eLab inventory management system to enter received samples into the eLab laboratory information management system and monitor their location and status throughout the chain of custody from processing to sequencing, data collection and transfer.
- Maintain a detailed digital eLab notebook, recording all experimental work and maintain common database of all processed sample data.
- Operate and calibrate basic analytic instrumentation in the core facility (thermocycler, bioanalyzer, pH meter, electronic scale, filter equipment, plate reader, etc).
- Collaborate with Biobank team, communicate workload status, and provide feedback for incoming sample volume.
- Conduct DNA and RNA extractions in plate-based formats, run QA/QC tests on nucleic acid extracts and perform PCR/qPCR experiments.
- Responsible for inventory management of received samples, QA/QC tests on sequencing data, and data transfer.
- lean and prepare reagents and equipment for sample processing, and directly participate in prepared sample receiving and inventory management.
- Minimum B.Sc. in the sciences perferred. Candidates without a science degree may also be considered if they have highly relevant laboratory or professional experience.
- Should be comfortable with information management systems, spreadsheets, word processing, report writing and manifest a demonstrated ability to organize and complete assignments without ongoing direction.
- Good interpersonal and practical laboratory skills and ability to calculate molarities for chemical solutions required.
- Experience extracting nucleic acids is essential with constructing sequencing libraries beneficial.
- Knowledge of statistical programming tools such as MatLab or RStudio and automation experience a plus.
- The successful applicant will have the opportunity to participate in project team meetings including associated discussion groups.
- This includes presentation and discussion of experimental results generated by the applicant and published work described in the scientific literature.
- Based upon original contribution to research, interpretation of results and participation in manuscript preparation, the successful applicant may be given the opportunity for co-authorship on manuscripts associated with the project.
Company: The University of British Columbia
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Vancouver, BC, USA
Application Deadline: N/A