Website The University of British Columbia
The Support Analyst I – Research Computing Technician provides technical advice and support in use, configuration and selection of software, hardware and network systems and various end user devices. This position provides client services support in a timely, efficient manner in accordance with all service level agreements. In addition, this position is required to identify, recommend and implement necessary exceptions to established standards in order to accommodate the IT needs of research projects.
- May provide in person support for walk-up customers at the UBC IT Okanagan service counter.
- Modifies network user ports to ensure that they are located on the appropriate virtual network.
- Follows established procedures for equipment deployment and remote desktop support, providing feedback and recommendations on improvements as necessary.
- Resolves issues related to hardware, software, operating systems or A/V equipment.
- Thoroughly documents and implements approved exceptions to established standards and procedures.
- Identifies necessary exceptions to established standards and brings them to the attention of senior staff for approval.
- Troubleshoots wired networking issues from both endpoints and network switches.
- May provide campus-wide problem resolution for callers to the campus UBC IT Okanagan helpdesk phone line.
- Provides troubleshooting for network user accounts in accordance with established security policies.
- Works with equipment and instrumentation vendors to install, troubleshoot and maintain specialized equipment and software for researchers on campus.
- Deploys new laptops, desktops, mobile devices, peripherals, software and A/V equipment.
- Troubleshoots wireless endpoints and ensures that wireless encryption and security standards are met for client devices.
- Identifies recurring hardware and/or software issues and brings them to the attention of the IT Service Coordinators.
- Undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline. Minimum of two years experience or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- The Support Analyst I – Research Computing Technician is expected to have extensive knowledge of the Microsoft Windows, Mac and Linux operating system environments including standard office productivity applications, antivirus and VPN technologies.
- Knowledge of a Novell Netware environment is an asset.
- In addition, the Support Analyst I – Research Computing Services Technician is expected to have a comprehensive understanding of hardware diagnosis and replacement, including desktops, laptops, monitors, printers and other peripherals. Appropriate professional certifications such as MCSE, MCP, A+, Network+, Security+ are preferred.
- This position also involves extensive customer interaction in person, as well as via phone and email, excellent written and verbal English communication skills are critical.
- Sets objectives that meet organizational needs.
- Provides recommendations to individuals and teams on ways to improve performance and meet defined objectives.
- Monitors and provides feedback on individual and team performance against defined standards.
Company: The University of British Columbia
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Kelowna, BC, CA
Application Deadline: N/A