Website The University of British Columbia
The Facilities Assistant o versees the handling of various tasks with respect to day-to-day building operations, facilities, events and services for the UBC Sauder School of Business. This includes providing services to faculty, staff and students related to processing work orders/requests, material processing and deliveries, reporting deficiencies, placing/escalating trouble calls, handling building repairs and maintenance requests, assisting in the coordination of logistics for furniture installations and movement, ensuring classrooms are free of any deficiencies (e.g., correct number of chairs, tables arranged in an orderly fashion, garbage free, etc.), identifying custodial issues/concerns, ensuring building safety practices are followed, reporting/following up on breaches of security and helping with logistics/set-up for events, etc. This position involves extensive contact with staff, faculty, students and external contractors, suppliers/vendors, etc.
- Liaises with the Manager, Administration and Operations in matters relating to UBC Traffic and Security and reports/assists with follow-up on breaches of security issues/procedures to ensure a safe and secure environment at all times.
- Conducts weekly building walkabouts throughout UBC Sauder buildings, such as the Henry Angus, David Lam and the UBC Sauder School of Business Annex buildings and property and reports deficiencies/places trouble calls for the necessary repairs to ensure the properties are kept in good operating condition.
- Ensures classrooms are free of any deficiencies (e.g. correct number of chairs, tables arranged in an orderly fashion, proper informational signage, garbage free, etc.) and making the necessary rearrangements and/or placing the necessary trouble call(s) to correct/fix the situation.
- Assists with office moves/renovations, installation and relocation for faculty, staff, visitors, etc. by working in conjunction with the Manager, Administration and Operations as well as with the Zone Facilities Manager (UBC Building Operations) to ensure space requirements meet the needs of the users at all times.
- Contacts the appropriate personnel to deal with maintenance problems (e.g. air-conditioning, carpentry, electrical, plumbing, heating, etc.) in an efficient, effective and timely manner.
- Liaises with faculty, staff and/or students to determine/understand their needs and then prepares, writes up and processes work orders/requests to provide recommendations on requested improvements/modifications to the facilities/buildings including cost estimates, scope of work, timing, etc. to ensure the facilities are maintained in good operating condition at all times.
- Identifies custodial issues/concerns (e.g. unwanted garbage, dirty floors, messy classrooms, etc.) and addresses them with the Manager, Administration and Operations to ensure they are handled in an appropriate manner.
- Places trouble calls to Building Services to inform them of emergencies, building repairs or maintenance issues that need immediate attention to ensure these items are handled promptly and in the appropriate manner.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills with the desire to assist others.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Proven experience working in a University or large complex organization. Computer experience required (Microsoft Office – Outlook, Word, Excel, Access, etc.).
- Ability to organize and prioritize work on a day-to-day basis, works as part of a team, multi-task and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work well under pressure and adapt to changing priorities and/or schedules. Ability to maintain accuracy and attention to detail. Ability to analyze, problem solve and troubleshoot situations accurately and adopt an effective course of action.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise judgement, initiative, discretion, diplomacy and tact.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
Company: The University of British Columbia
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, CA
Application Deadline: N/A