Website The University of British Columbia
Positions at this level perform diversified horticulture activities at UBC Botanical Gardens. The Government of Canada funded through the Canada Summer Jobs program. You must be aged between 15 and 30 and be legally entitled to work in Canada. International students are not eligible.
- Assists in the propagation of a variety of plant material, identifies and maintains theaccessioning and labeling of plant materials and carries out plant and seed collection in the field. Assists senior horticulturists in conducting investigations, including writing reports/publications related to area of responsibility.
- Carries out tasks related to UBC Botanical Gardens involving routine maintenance. Uses a range of horticultural tools to prepare and maintain UBC Botanical Garden grounds.
- Provides input to the collection of plant material for the advancement of the Botanical Garden collection.
- Plants trees, shrubs, bulbs, seeds and related plants material.
- Works in a correct and safe manner and follows established policies and procedures.
- Conducts investigations, evaluates plants, and applies new and improved methods and techniques relating to cultural requirements, growing procedures, nutritional requirements, production of nursery stock, etc. of plants and species in the area of specialization.
- Performs duties such as calculating basic quantities, assists in updating databases and collection, coding, distributing, filing and indexing of plants.
- Participates in the training of Horticulturist, Labourers, Apprentices, and Student Trainees (including Horticulture Training Program Students).
- May coordinate the work of/provide assistance to employees at lower level classifications. Carries out any other related duties as required in keeping with the qualifications and requirements of positions in this classification.
- A responsible and energetic individual who takes direction and is able to work independently.
- Must be able to demonstrate sufficient attention to detail in job performance, as well as accuracy in record keeping and labeling, in order to maintain the high standard of horticultural practice required in the Botanical Garden; Knowledge of the precise cultural care required by plants in the Botanical Garden collections is an asset; Good manual dexterity and the ability to work out-of-doors
- Completion of a diploma in Horticulture, a Pesticide Applicator’s Certificate, a valid BC driver’s license and a minimum four years of related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Completion of a BC or other provincial, state or national horticulture certificate program, diploma (2 year) program, or degree in horticulture or other plant-related discipline
Company: The University of British Columbia
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Vancouver, BC, USA
Application Deadline: N/A