Website The University of British Columbia
UBC’s Malcolm Knapp Research Forest (MKRF) is part of the Faculty of Forestry, and is responsible for managing the University’s obligations and opportunities on a 5,157 ha private forest as well as a 220 ha Woodlot License, generating an annual gross revenue of up to $5 million. Because of the size of operations, the Malcolm Knapp Research Forest is managed with a close-knit team of individuals who are responsible for a large diversity of tasks.
- Responsible for the planning and development of silviculture prescriptions and operations by making complex social, economic and environmental decisions and trade-offs.
- Selects and supervises harvesting systems, contractors and equipment in order to achieve objectives for each site.
- Ensures that plans and prescriptions for silviculture activities comply with legal requirements and guidelines, UBC policy and best-practice guidance.
- Develops strategic forest development plans to determine what amount to harvest and when.
- Coordinates and supervises log quality control and log marketing.
- Reviews and supervises the log inventories and quality control both on and off the Malcolm Knapp Research Forest.
- Assists the Manager in preparing annual budgets in excess of $5.0 million and cost information for all operational activities of the Malcolm Knapp Research Forest. Develops budgets and is responsible for cost control of all projects under direction of the position. Supports the Assistant Operations Manager in implementing maintenance and construction programs for all roads on the MKRF.
- Reviews work performed and determines when contract requirements have been met.
- Leads the ongoing improvement of silviculture prescriptions and metrics.
- Maintains forest history records and other management documents both for internal use and as required by government agencies.
- Prepares funding proposals, and follows such proposals through as required.
- Responds to call outs in the event of emergencies at MKRF on a 24 hour per day, 7 day per week basis.
- Replaces the Manager and Assistant Operations Manager during scheduled and unscheduled absences from the Forest – on average 40-50 days per year.
- Recruits, selects, evaluates, supervises, manages performance and terminates service providers, vendors and contractors and ensures that site-level, operational, safety and legislation requirements and standards are met.
- Manages the MKRF safety program for employees, contractors, students and general public including compliance, reporting and continual improvement.
Company: The University of British Columbia
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Campus, IL, USA
Application Deadline: N/A