Website University Health Network
The PORTER/HOSPITAL ASSISTANT performs general and specific duties in accordance with Patient Transportation Department standards of practice, policies and procedures.
- Following all Infection Prevention and Control procedures including hand washing and isolation procedures.
- Picking up and delivering specimens. blood products, supplies, dirty/soiled instruments, equipment and other miscellaneous items to various locations, as per established schedule or as requested.
- Responding immediately with specialized equipment when a patient is being resuscitated or in medical distress.
- Transporting patients by wheelchair, stretcher or bed to various locations for tests and other procedures, as per established schedule or as requested. These locations include patient rooms, departments for tests like x-rays, CT scan, MRI, to procedures like endoscopies, and the emergency department. Transporting patients who have passed away to the morgue.
- Cleaning and disinfecting stretchers, wheelchairs, pumps, IV poles and other patient handling equipment with bleach and other cleaning chemicals in accordance with training and procedures while while wearing required Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Performing other duties consistent with the job classification, as assigned and/or required.
- Monitoring and replenishing medical and other supplies to ensure the department has sufficient quantity on hand.
- Assisting to transfer patients between beds, stretchers, and wheelchairs under the direction of clinical staff.
- Performing cross-functional duties as assigned and/or required.
- Wearing gloves, isolation gowns, masks (surgical and N95), eye protection, and other Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) while carrying out duties as required.
- Casual staff must be available for all shifts (Days, Evenings, Nights) and are assigned to work in all areas of the department
- Exercise initiative and good judgment with ability to multi-task.
- Knowledge of Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (W.H.M.I.S.)
- Ability to meet the physical demands of the job including: pushing/pulling case carts; pushing/pulling patients in beds/wheelchairs weighing greater than 20 kg; lifting bins; pushing pumps.
- Ability to read, write and speak English fluently to understand verbal work orders and/or instructions.
- Knowledge of the Occupational Health & Safety Act and other relevant legislation.
- Vaccines (COVID-19 and others) are a requirement of the job unless you have an exemption on a medical ground pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code.
- 3 months to less than 6 months practical and related experience and/or 3 months to less than 6months on the job training
- Effective organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Must be able to read/understand short notes and brief forms to read invoices, orders and memos.
- Ability to perform duties in a professional and courteous manner and produce high quality work while meeting deadlines in accordance to UHN standards.
- Knowledge of applicable legislative, UHN and/or departmental policies.
- Client service oriented, with the ability to effectively work with diversity and appreciate that people with different opinions, backgrounds and characteristics bring richness to the challenge or situation at hand.
- At minimum completion of high school or recognized equivalent
- Ability to do simple mathematical calculations (e.g. adding, subtracting, etc.).
Company: University Health Network
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Application Deadline: N/A