Website University Health Network
The LAUNDRY SORTER/WASHER performs general and specific duties in accordance with Linen & Laundry Department standards of practice, policies and procedures.
- Washing, drying and folding scrubs, curtains, slings and other washable items in industrial washers and dryers.
- Cleaning and disinfecting equipment with bleach and other cleaning chemicals in accordance with training and procedures while while wearing required Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- Stocking any special linen requests.
- Unloading carts of clean linen; loading carts of soiled linen onto the trailers.
- Performing other duties consistent with the job classification, as assigned and/or required.
- Performing cross-functional duties as assigned and/or required.
- TG Only – transporting carts will require successful completion of a tow motor training course and licensing which is provided by UHN.
- Following all Infection Prevention and Control procedures including hand washing and isolation procedures.
- Wearing gloves, isolation gowns, masks (surgical and N95), eye protection, and other Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) while carrying out duties as required.
- Delivering carts of clean linen to patient units/clinics, loading bags of soiled linen onto carts and transporting carts for return to service provider for laundering.
- Counting previous days unused linen and adjusting the linen orders in accordance with par levels.
- TW Only –restock the alEx linen dispensing machines with clean linens (i.e., sheets, towels) on the patient care units and Emergency Department.
- Restock the Scrubex dispensing machines with clean scrubs and remove scrubs for laundering.
- At minimum completion of high school or recognized equivalent required.
- Ability to be on feet (standing and walking) for long periods of time required
- May be required to work at multiple areas as well as rotating shifts in emergency situations
- Effective organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Less than 3 months practical and related experience and/or less than 1 month on the job training required
- Ability to perform duties in a professional and courteous manner and produce high quality work while meeting deadlines in accordance to UHN standards.
- Knowledge of applicable legislative, UHN and/or departmental policies.
- Ability to push/pull carts weighing up to 23kgs required
- Exercise initiative and good judgment with ability to multi-task.
- Must be able to meet the physical demands of the job: pushing, pulling & maneuver heavy (up to 23kgs) linen cart safely, driving a tow motor.
- Client service oriented, with the ability to effectively work with diversity and appreciate that people with different opinions, backgrounds and characteristics bring richness to the challenge or situation at hand.
- Ability to successfully complete tow motor training program and obtain license to safely transport linen carts (Toronto General only)
- Simple mathematical calculations (adding & subtracting) skills required.
- Vaccines (COVID-19 and others) are a requirement of the job unless you have an exemption on a medical ground pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code.
Company: University Health Network
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Application Deadline: N/A