Website The University of British Columbia
The ARC Systems Analyst II has broad experience in system analysis and design, functional design, configuration, implementation, testing and support, and plays a key role in the implementation and support of software applications and data platform components of digital research infrastructure (DRI) projects. The position also draws from expertise with software specific to research applications, such as electronic data collection, data migration, programming languages and scripting languages; including adapting software to run in scaled-up environments with very large datasets.
- Provide expert advice and solutions to challenges inherent to the scaling of largescale data sets in research projects with an emphasis on electronic capture, storage, transfer, sharing and processing of research data.
- Leads the ongoing support, maintenance and sustainment of DRI vendor-supplied platforms and software applications.
- Consults with researchers and other key stakeholders, both internal and external to the ARC team, to capture requirements such as system features, access, integration, security, scalability, and performance pertaining to the use of digital platforms, software and tools in support of advanced research computing and research data management.
- Writes and maintains documentation in accordance with prescribed standards.
- Maintains services in accordance with University standards and policies pertaining to system security and privacy.
- Provides training, expert liaison, research software and user support on the use of DRI platforms and services available at UBC and through other national service delivery partners (ex. Compute Canada, Portage, etc.);
- Develops, tests, implements and executes programs, code and scripts in support of digital research platforms and applications;
- Provides input to feasibility studies for development of projects and enhancements and analyzes metrics to ensure project goals are satisfied.
- Provide advice to research teams through the software development lifecycle and follows appropriate programming / development methodologies and best practices for delivery of DRI platforms and services.
- Develops, implements and delivers research data digital platforms and IT solutions in both production and non-production environments to the benefit of all campuses and research institutes, and in partnership with national, regional, and provincial stakeholders;
- Provides technical expertise, training, and consultation to other staff.
- Supports application lifecycle and applies and follows appropriate change management methodologies and best practices.
- Develops or modifies software code to meet specifications or facilitate integration.
- Integrates vendor supplied applications with existing infrastructure and applications through custom interfaces and components.
- Plans and performs global configuration changes or module deployments for enterprise or complex applications.
- Develops application documentation requirements for functions, modifications, backups and operating procedures. Provides ongoing maintenance and operational support for applications.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Maintains core application infrastructure, including virtual servers, networks and firewalls.
- Maintains appropriate professional designations and up-to-date knowledge of current information technology techniques and tools and provides input to strategies for ongoing support and upgrade of these systems.
- Manages production and non-production application environments.
- Builds and maintains good working relationships and collaborates with others to achieve client objectives.
- Conducts testing of new or customized application modules to ensure application meets specifications.
- Manages small to medium sized projects and related budgets.
- Analyzes and reviews existing or proposed system features and integration, security, scalability and performance requirements with clients, business analysts, and team members.
- Researches and evaluates vendor supplied applications, develops recommendations, and implements accordingly.
Company: The University of British Columbia
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, CA
Application Deadline: N/A