Website The University of British Columbia
This position works with other UBC departments at all campuses, research institutes, and partner organizations nationally and internationally; to provide researchers with access to state-of-the-art DRI system services required for computationally- and data-intensive research.
This position may be responsible for supervising staff directly and indirectly in relation to the delivery of research projects, systems, platforms and services.
- Writes and maintains documentation in accordance with prescribed standards.
- Develops, implements and delivers research data digital platforms and IT solutions in both production and non-production environments to the benefit of all campuses and research institutes, and in partnership with national, regional, and provincial stakeholders;
- Provide advice to research teams through the software development lifecycle and follows appropriate programming / development methodologies and best practices for delivery of DRI platforms and services.
- Develops, tests, implements and executes programs, code and scripts in support of digital research platforms and applications;
- Provides training, expert liaison, research software and user support on the use of DRI platforms and services available at UBC and through other national service delivery partners (ex. Compute Canada, Portage, etc.);
- Provide expert advice and solutions to challenges inherent to the scaling of largescale data sets in research projects with an emphasis on electronic capture, storage, transfer, sharing and processing of research data.
- Leads the ongoing support, maintenance and sustainment of DRI vendor-supplied platforms and software applications.
- Provides input to feasibility studies for development of projects and enhancements and analyzes metrics to ensure project goals are satisfied.
- Maintains services in accordance with University standards and policies pertaining to system security and privacy.
- Consults with researchers and other key stakeholders, both internal and external to the ARC team, to capture requirements such as system features, access, integration, security, scalability, and performance pertaining to the use of digital platforms, software and tools in support of advanced research computing and research data management.
- Working knowledge of GNU/Linux distributions and command-line utilities
- Knowledge of digital research infrastructure that supports computationally and data-intensive research, such as High Performance Compute, scheduler, object storage platforms, data analytics, research data software and platforms such as Globus, REDCap, ColdFront and other data collection and analysis software.
- Demonstrated willingness, ability, and enthusiasm to learn new processes, methodologies or technologies.
- Experience developing and managing various database platforms (e.g. Oracle, MySQL, Postgres).
- A good understanding of data storage, backup and recovery, virtualization and cloud technologies (such as VMware vCloud Director, OpenStack, Amazon AWS, and other cloud technologies)
- Strong problem analysis and solution design skills.
- As this position involves extensive stakeholder interaction in person, via phone, and email, as well as documentation creation, excellent written and verbal English communication skills are critical.
- Some familiarity with configuration automation and DevOps tools (Ansible, Puppet, Chef)
- Working knowledge of project management, quality assurance and change management practices.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment with minimal supervision.
- Excellent organizational, planning, and prioritization skills. Able to multi-task and deliver multiple assignments in a fast-paced and changing environment.
- Knowledge of statistical analysis through computational tools such as R, Perl, Python.
Qualification & Experience:
- Experience supporting the research community and working in environments involving multiple stakeholders.
- Experience in developing software programs in Python/Django and adhering to Agile software development methodology
Company: The University of British Columbia
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Vancouver, BC, USA
Application Deadline: N/A