Website Y-12 National Security Complex
Under limited supervision, directs all operational aspects of a specific function within the Pantex Fire Department, including compliance, training, equipment readiness and personnel management. Performs duties with opportunity for exercise of initiative, independent judgment and discretion.
- Performs periodic inspections to ensure efficient utilization of personnel and equipment.
- Respects a worker’s right to stop work when they feel their personal safety is jeopardized and take responsibility to resolve the concern in a timely manner.
- Develops technical specifications for Specialized Emergency Equipment.
- Attends and or conducts required safety meetings and training.
- Initiating discipline in the form of verbal counseling and referring successive steps of discipline to Human Resources as necessary.
- Make recommendations for hiring, firing, salary increases and promotions.
- Directs activities of fire department personnel within assigned function in accordance with established procedures.
- Responsible to evaluate personnel and make personnel assignments.
- Performs duties of Fire Chief in his/her absence.
- Makes fiscal decisions within scope of assigned function.
- Responsible to manage the support/operation section of the department.
- Facilitates and supports all plant safety initiatives and provides instruction in safety awareness and provides training while resolving issues and concerns within the organization.
- Ensures that a feedback loop is maintained to communicate answers to issues, concerns and lessons learned in accordance with Integrated Safety Management (ISM) principals.
- Recommend, develop and approve changes to Fire Department procedures and processes.
- Ensures worker involvement in work planning, and determination of hazards and control in accordance with ISM principals.
- Makes recommendations regarding placement, promotion, demotion and/or removal of personnel within assigned function.
- Required to attend and/or successfully complete training classes as determined by the Training and Development Technologies Department, through General Employee Training (Reference DOE Order 426.2), and Management.
- Recommends and implements improvements and modifications to organization, procedures, policies, standards, methods and equipment within assigned function.
- Must be able to perform all duties and functions outlined above.
- Must be able to supervise and manage firefighters and plan for technical improvements of Fire Department programs.
- Knowledge of DOE directives, standards and orders, fire department requirements by the National Fire Protection Association codes and standards and other pertinent compliance documents.
- Must meet initial employment requirements.
- Ability to operate at all types of emergencies as the incident commander and fulfill the position of fire chief in the fire chief’s absence.
- Bachelors’ degree in a technical and/or business related discipline or an equivalent combination of related education and experience with at least 12 years of fire protection or related science.
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of the responsibilities of the fire department operations.
- Knowledge of computer programs pertaining to fire department operations involving: inspections, studies, and root causes.
- Must be able to read, write, and comprehend applicable written and/or oral instructions.
- Knowledge of computer operating systems and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Must be physically fit to perform the above job functions as determined by Medical Evaluation.
Qualification & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree: Minimum 12 years of relevant experience. Minimum 5 years of management experience.
- OR Associate’s degree: Minimum 16 years of relevant experience. Minimum 5 years of management experience.
- Twenty or more years of relevant education and/or relevant experience may be considered to satisfy educational and years-of-experience requirements for this posting; must include, at a minimum, 5 years of management experience.
- Texas Commission on Fire Protection (TCFP) Advanced Fire Fighter.
- TCFP Fire Instructor II.
- TCFP Hazardous Materials Technician.
- TCFP Fire Officer II.
- Texas Department of State Health Services – Basic Emergency Medical Technician.
Company: Y-12 National Security Complex
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Knoxville, TN, US
Application Deadline: N/A